Saturday, September 24, 2016

A Search for a Star

I love the article that I read titled “Stars and Steppingstones – Some choices only come around once.” My mind really resonated with its words. It talked about finding our own stars, meaning that we need to find what is most important to us. This got me thinking a lot about what is important to me and what kind of a job I would want to have. It is not just the type of job, really, that is important, but also the idea of where will I be at the age of fifty and then seventy.
At the age of fifty, I saw myself with my wife and 3-4 children (that depends on how many we decide to have). My oldest child would be around the age 25 with the rest down to 22 or so. I would be working either at the hobby store that I opened or at another store in the same department. I feel that the steppingstones that I have set will help me to achieve my ‘star’ of owning a hobby store or working for a place such as Games Workshop.
  • ·         Why do you think Randy Pausch was able to achieve so many of his childhood dreams? – Randy Pausch set out with the mentality that success takes a great deal of effort with many failures along the way. Rather than letting those failures discourage him, Randy focused on what he really wanted and made them happen.
  • ·         Do you feel that dreaming is important? Why or why not? – Dreaming is very important! Without dreams, we are not motivated to pursue anything. We sit there content with what the world can and will throw at us. It is very unfortunate for those that don’t have dreams or even those that believe that they can’t achieve their dreams.
  • ·         Discuss at least one of your childhood dreams. Explain why you believe you can or cannot achieve this dream. – Growing up, I loved dinosaurs. And I still do to this day. What kid wouldn’t love dinosaurs? Because of this fascination with this ancient monsters that roamed the earth millions of years ago, I dreamed as a kid to be a “dinosaur hunter” as I called it in kid terms. More specifically and accurately, I wanted to be a paleontologist and dig up dinosaur bones. Unfortunately, priorities change throughout the years and you come to the realization that certain areas in academics are more difficult than other areas. This was the case for me, struggling to do well in science and math. Also, I’ve always wanted to have a family of my own, spending a great deal of time with them. I figured that paleontology would take me away from my home and family for long periods. 


No comments:

Post a Comment